Re: TB: Cold Hardiness

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB: Cold Hardiness
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 02 22:35:33 -0500

>That's great, Sandra!  Today, SDB Eye Bright joined MDB Bitsy Blue and P.
>ATROVIOLACEA.  There's lots of buds forming on many of the MDB's and SDB's,
>although I only managed to check half of them after work today.  Will
>hopefully check on the rest tomorrow.
>
>El, near Winnipeg (about 20 minutes from Sandra)
>Manitoba, Canada Z3
>MIS & DIS Display Garden

You two are making me CRAZY!  WHY is EVERYONE getting bloom before me???
I never thought I'd have to move even farther north to get iris bloom!
LOL!  At least I am FINALLY seeing buds on some MDBs and SDBs, and it
looks like CAUTION SIGN will once again be my first bloomer of the
season.  Might even pop open tomorrow (one can always hope).

Unfortunately, my garden has suffered HUGE losses among the TBs this
spring.  I haven't gotten up the nerve to count, but I'll bet I've easily
lost 100 or more cvs.  The prolonged cold weather took out nearly
everything planted last summer.  Ordinarily, I see a lot of minor rot
infections (spongy rzs) in early spring, but as soon as the weather warms
enough, the rzs dry out, and the plants quickly outgrow any lingering
rot.  This spring there was no warmth to trigger drying and rapid growth,
so rot infections amplified and killed off anything with even the
slightest susceptibility.  Even among the survivors, growth seems to be
restarting from tiny increases.  I'm anticipating very little TB bloom
this year.  I guess it's a good thing I had already designated this as
the year I would concentrate on increasing my Sib collection. Given the
devastation in my modern TB beds, I have also decided to start working on
an historic bearded collection.  I need the tough old soldiers who have
withstood the tests of time and varying climates.

At the moment, however, I am still eagerly anticipating that first iris
bloom ... and I don't much care how beautiful or ugly it turns out to be.

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
zone 3b northern MN - clay soil