Re: TB: Cold Hardiness

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB: Cold Hardiness
  • From: "Eleanor Cecchini" <eleanore@mb.sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 22:53:33 -0500

Sorry to hear about your TB losses, Laurie.  It's one of the reasons why I
grow mostly MDB's, SDB's and the other medians.  Sandra Barss seems to have
great luck with her TB's, though.  She kindly shared some of them with me
last summer, and they've all come up strongly so far.  I tried to emulate
the sunny warm conditions that she has in her garden, so we'll see what
happens there.  Many of the MDB's and SDB's that I also moved to that bed
are setting buds.

A few of my new SDB's from last year are doing the same thing as your TB's -
seemed spongy a few weeks ago, but now that it's warmer, they have dried
out.  They were planted on a slope, so they shouldn't have been wet at all.
Hopefully, there will be some signs of life soon.  I often lose a couple of
irises ea spring, but usually I have another as a backup.  Not this year.
yikes

El, near Winnipeg (about 20 minutes from Sandra)
Manitoba, Canada Z3
MIS & DIS Display Garden