Re: CULT: non-blooming iris: Re: novice with irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: non-blooming iris: Re: novice with irises
  • From: cathycampi@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 00:50:52 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/02 7:44:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
joeannemchig@yahoo.com writes:

> Thanks for the response, no they are not in an overly sunny spot, in fact if
> anything its shady, I have lots of pine trees in the yard.  They have not
> been cut back and the leaves themselves look very robust.  They were in big
> clumps last year and I thought that was the reason for no flowers so I have
> spread them out, but again no flowers.  I haven't tried the fertilizer but
> will do that.  Do you suggest any particular kind?  Thanks so much for your
> help.  I was at the point of digging them all up and trying something else.

I have seen Iris do quite nicely in dappled shade or even an hour of sun.
Pine trees should make your soil very acidic. Pine mulch is great for my acid
loving Azaleas,etc . We planted a hundred or so iris downslope from my
brothers pine trees. First year was fair but second year was very poor bloom.
This year the are a hundred yards away in neutral soil and starting to return
to normal.

Do a simple soil test and it will tell you about how much of what you need to
add to bring the soil closer to neutral.

With good leaf growth and increases go with a fertilser low in nitrogen and
high in Phospherous and Potash. ( 0-10-10, 5-10-10)

Cathy Campi
Stockton Ca.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.