Re: Re: CULT:Ugly Irises/Cruel Irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT:Ugly Irises/Cruel Irises
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 08:28:47 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/2002 10:21:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
doris1434@juno.com writes:

> On Mon, 27 May 2002 22:46:21 EDT oneofcultivars@aol.com writes:
> > Since the probability is nil that I grow ugly irises, do yawl think I
> > should
> > post stuff about cruel irises to this thread?
> >
> > Bill Burleson 7a/b
>
> Absolutely! But first please list what constitutes a "cruel" iris so I
> can submit my list. I'm sure I have several that quality and since like
> you, I don't grow any uglies, I really felt left out when Y'all were
> braggin' about yours.
>         Anxiously awaiting. . . .
>
> Doris Elevier
> USDA 7b, Sunset 11
> El Paso, TX

Well............ I'd say (define) a cruel iris is one that hurts my feeling
or someone elses.

Candy Apple Classic blooms early in the season before any of my iris friends
really start visitin' so they don't get to see it. It blooms with an uncommon
but not exactly rare irredescents that can not be depicted in either type of
photographic medium. It produces blooms in a color family at a time of year
that color family is uncommon. It is slow to increase so there is never
enough to share with all the people you want to see it. Hence it is a cruel
iris.

Opal Brown produces a beautiful though cantankerous bloom. Blooms very late
with nothing else in the same color family so it forces illogical crosses
with Dusky Challenger. Three days ago, at a time when the Last Man Standing
competition at Burleson empire was nearing an end. Opel Brown sent up a new
stalk. Hence it is a cruel iris. Course I may hafta retract this comment in a
couple of years. Depends on how Acoma/Opel Brown cross looks.

Magician's Apprentice and Lemon Custard both produce desirable blooms and
know how to count.MA to five and Lemon Custard to three. Rot begins when each
reaches the requisite number of fans but never completly. Never enough to
eliminate itself complely. Always enough to keep on a bed map survives. Each
is pretty enough to force salvage efforts. That's a cruel iris.

Jever hava flier hurt yer feelins?
Smile to yawl,
Bill Burleson 7a/b

Buy Stock for $4