Re: TB: color sequence of bloom?

  • Subject: Re: TB: color sequence of bloom?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:02:13 -0400

> I've never heard of a relationship between color and bloom sequence.
                       > Has anyone else?
                       > Patricia Brooks

I haven't noticed it, but your observation makes sense.  Certain
hybridizers work many years with some colors & it seems probable (?)
that they'd be making crosses amongst cultivars blooming at the same
time.  In other words, if the irises in one color class are fairly
closely related (similar lines of breeding), it makes sense they might
bloom at about the same time.  Or be skewed in that direction.

Bloom sequence still is much a mystery to me - some cultivars seem to
always bloom about the same time, regardless of weather, some seem to
bloom in the same sequence, but wait till weather suits them (&
therefore start too early!), & some seem to get easily confused by
weather and bloom early some years, late others, or not at all.

I figure some are somewhat triggered by daylength, some by cumulative
warmth, others by cumulative chill over the winter, & layered on top of
that is nutrition & water availability and how fast they happen to be
able to respond to warmth both because of nutrient status and genetic
'talent'.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
still a couple of TBs hanging on....

Buy Stock for $4