HYB: sticking to goals

  • Subject: HYB: sticking to goals
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:33:25 -0400

I had to constantly remind myself of my hybridizing goals this year - so
easy to be distracted by all the interesting possibilities.  Do the rest
of you daubers
have that problem?

I have two goals:
The first is to have a bigger selection of better performing TBs with
light top/dark fall with light rim cultivars here.

The second is much more modest <g> - to have a collection of as many
colors & patterns as possible of tough, reliable TBs that will bloom at
normal height off & on thru spring, summer, & fall.  Preferably with
nice branching, good substance, touching standards, graceful falls,
sweet fragrance....

Some of the rest of you have mentioned some of your TB hybridizing goals
- Betty wants good rebloomers too, & is after red-bearded blacks;
Patricia is trying for pastel bearded pinks; Walter works with
reblooming plicatas; Bill in Mississippi wants multisocketed buds; Mike
Sutton is after reblooming spaceagers; and even tho they don't post
here, we know the Schreiner family is always looking for a few more good
blues.

I'd love to hear what goals some of the rest of you have.

This year, I strayed into all kinds of directions that weren't part of
my original goals...'just for fun' crosses included some really really
wierd things that resulted in pods:
o    I. reichenbachii X PINAFORE PINK (why?  I don't have a clue!);
o    ART DECO X a very ugly bee pod seedling from SIGN OF LEO with huge
grey & yellow blooms on weak stems that corkscrew all over the place

Any of you make crosses on the spur of the moment that made you wonder
later?  Any of those crosses turn out to be anything worthwhile?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
wondering about the creative process in hybridizing

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.