Re: TB: Cold Hardiness

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB: Cold Hardiness
  • From: Sandra Barss <barsssa@mb.sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:33:16 -0700

We had a nice warm day and rain which was much needed.  Now here too,
everything is getting going.  Creme Pixie (SDB) sent up stalks, I am
sure some
irises have doubled in height today, and Clarence is developing fat
leaves !

I, too, am sorry about your losses Laurie.  I would hate to think of
losing that
many irises in one year.  I think what's saved me from having too much
during this cold spring is that we haven't really had a lot of
precipitation and
consequently, my soil is quite dry.

SE Manitoba
Zone 3

Arnold Koekkoek wrote:

>  It's comforting, in a perverse sort of way, to read of others living
> even farther away than I am  from all the reports of the end of TB
> bloom season down south.  At least mine has begun here in NW Iowa.
> First TB out of the starting gate this year was Hell's Fire, which
> opened last Friday (May 24), and was the only one to be in bloom in
> time for our club's show on Saturday, the 25th.  I didn't even take
> it.  (We had a largely median show, by the way:  89 IBs, 57 SDBs and
> only 27 TBs, totally different from the usual because it has been so
> cool all spring.  So much for global warming!)  Now it's suddenly
> warm, 82 deg. F. yesterday, and the TB stalks are shooting up and
> appearing like magic, also several opening yesterday.  I hope the weak
> stem problem noted by Judy Hunt in connection with this kind of
> weather pattern is not going to be a problem.  But, anyway, here comes
> the big show, one way or the other.  Finally!!
> Arnold
> Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
> 38 7th Street, NE
> Sioux Center, IA 51250