Re: TB: Cold Hardiness

> Unfortunately, my garden has suffered HUGE losses among the TBs
> spring.  I haven't gotten up the nerve to count, but I'll bet I've
> lost 100 or more cvs.  The prolonged cold weather took out nearly
> everything planted last summer.  Ordinarily, I see a lot of minor
> infections (spongy rzs) in early spring, but as soon as the weather
> enough, the rzs dry out, and the plants quickly outgrow any
> rot.  This spring there was no warmth to trigger drying and rapid
> so rot infections amplified and killed off anything with even the
> slightest susceptibility.  Even among the survivors, growth seems
to be
> restarting from tiny increases.  I'm anticipating very little TB
> this year.  I guess it's a good thing I had already designated this
> the year I would concentrate on increasing my Sib collection. Given
> devastation in my modern TB beds, I have also decided to start
working on
> an historic bearded collection.  I need the tough old soldiers who
> withstood the tests of time and varying climates.
> At the moment, however, I am still eagerly anticipating that first
> bloom ... and I don't much care how beautiful or ugly it turns out
to be.
> Laurie
> -----------------
> laurief@p...
> http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
> zone 3b northern MN - clay soil

I would love to have you try some of my TB introductions. They are
first and formost selected for cold hardiness. Garden Bride in
particular, never seems to suffer from any cold weather damage, and
increases well.

Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario, Canada SDB's just getting started.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.