Re: HYB: sticking to goals

  • Subject: Re: HYB: sticking to goals
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 02:51:30 -0000

Linda,

Basically, I make whatever cross occurs to me as intriguing at the
moment.  Having spent many hours making lists of possible crosses
based on the books' bloom dates, those went out the window this year,
so I winged it, with what was blooming at the time.

I have way more cvs than pinks, so I am kept busy all season -- 114
crosses made to date this year.  So far, I've only seen pods on the
SDBs, so don't know how many are 'taking', but am trusting the
survival-of-the-fittest in both crosses taking and seeds
germinating.  Since I have very little space for seedlings, I try to
keep philosophical about what will come to bloom.  I still have seeds
germinating from last year, and have my seedbed nearly full.

My most surprising choice that actually 'took' so far this year:
Well Suited SDB (my new favorite SDB!) by TB Sweet Reflection
(another favorite).  I have no idea why the cross appealed to me, but
am very excited about what might result from it.

Happy in bloom season,
Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, where HIGH WINDS are knocking down my TBs.

--- In iris-talk@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@v...> wrote:
> I had to constantly remind myself of my hybridizing goals this
year - so
> easy to be distracted by all the interesting possibilities.  Do the
rest
> of you daubers
> have that problem?
>
> I have two goals:
> The first is to have a bigger selection of better performing TBs
with
> light top/dark fall with light rim cultivars here.
>
> The second is much more modest <g> - to have a collection of as many
> colors & patterns as possible of tough, reliable TBs that will
bloom at
> normal height off & on thru spring, summer, & fall.  Preferably with
> nice branching, good substance, touching standards, graceful falls,
> sweet fragrance....
>
> Some of the rest of you have mentioned some of your TB hybridizing
goals
> - Betty wants good rebloomers too, & is after red-bearded blacks;
> Patricia is trying for pastel bearded pinks; Walter works with
> reblooming plicatas; Bill in Mississippi wants multisocketed buds;
Mike
> Sutton is after reblooming spaceagers; and even tho they don't post
> here, we know the Schreiner family is always looking for a few more
good
> blues.
>
> I'd love to hear what goals some of the rest of you have.
>
> This year, I strayed into all kinds of directions that weren't part
of
> my original goals...'just for fun' crosses included some really
really
> wierd things that resulted in pods:
> o    I. reichenbachii X PINAFORE PINK (why?  I don't have a clue!);
> o    ART DECO X a very ugly bee pod seedling from SIGN OF LEO with
huge
> grey & yellow blooms on weak stems that corkscrew all over the place
>
> Any of you make crosses on the spur of the moment that made you
wonder
> later?  Any of those crosses turn out to be anything worthwhile?
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
> wondering about the creative process in hybridizing

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.