Re: HYB: sticking to goals..

  • Subject: Re: HYB: sticking to goals..
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:45:14 -0400

Chuck Chapman in Canada wrote:
<I have frantically crossed everthing left in the garden and as a result
now have quite a collection of late bloomers, which also get crossed in
desperation as the season winds down.>

<g> This sounds like my mad frenzy to make crosses this year - may never
see another bloomseason as good as this one.  Sort of like 'end of

In my list of hybridizers' goals in my previous post, I forgot to
include your interest, Chuck, in tough TBs to overwinter REAL winter
conditions.  Sounds like one of your goals has become hybridizing late
bloomers, even tho that wasn't something you planned when you started?

& Patricia Brooks in WA wrote:
<I have way more cvs than pinks, so I am kept busy all season -- 114
crosses made to date this year. >

Patricia, do you have goals in mind for these other crosses, or are they
more spur of the moment choices?

As I look over my list of crosses that have produced pods this year,
there does seem to be more method to most of what I was doing than it
seemed some of the time while I was doing it.  Most crosses were of
rebloomers; some crosses were to try to add substance or branching to
some tough older irises that I love; one or two were mixing plicata &
other patterns.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!