Last Person Standing

  • Subject: Last Person Standing
  • From: tomd@cals.lib.ar.us
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:52:06 -0500 (CDT)

Hell Everyone:

The last iris blooming in my garden [excluding Japanese irises--which are
just now starting to open] is I. brevicaulis.  It is a very special
specimen sent to me by our own lister, Linda Mann of Tennessee.  Often I.
brevicaulis is denegrated because it has a tendency to produce floppy
stalks.  However, it is also responsible for introducing cold hardiness
into Louisiana irises.

The specimen blooming now has a huge white spray pattern, and the color is
a lovely dark blue.  It is not a typical I. brevicaulis.

Tom

Tom W. Dillard, Curator
Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
Central Arkansas Library System