RE: Don't Send Me Yellow Flowers

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Don't Send Me Yellow Flowers
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:19:45 -0700

> I find I don't care for yellow or orange blossoms.  Anyone else find
> they avoid yellows and oranges, or am I just an odd bird, LoL?!  ~
> Lindi

I'm not generally a fan of yellow, white, orange, beige, or cream-colored
iris; however, there are exceptions.  Throb is one of the brightest things
in any garden, and I actually ordered a new intro yellow bitone (Tuscan
Villa) all the way from Australia this year.  The picture was stunning and
distinctive, and out of Louisa's Song it must be nice.
Exceptional color, pattern, and/or form can override color preferences.  I
love burgandy-on-yellow plicatas, and very faintly blued whites.  I would
like the lacy Schreiner whites, but none of them will grow or bloom well in
southern California.  Chosen One is the only white I am happy with.  Another
exception: I ordered McKellar's Grove (orange) from Cooleys this year; I
hope it's as nice as the picture.

I love bright colors; plicatas (especially "fancy" plicatas); unusual blends
(love the standards on Afternoon Delight); luminata-style veined things like
Double Dribble; any shade or pattern of true blue from Rippling River to
Cloud Ballet; wine colors, lavenders, blacks, and purples.  I insist on good
form and ruffling.  I dislike most zonals, and hate "spray" patterns or haft
lines (except on Jewel Baby).  I don't mind dark shoulders, though.  I still
seek the perfect ruffled, true blue neglecta.  Can someone (maybe me?) get
"Louisa's Song in Blue"?

Painted From Memory incorporates most of this: a blue neglecta-plicata with
good stalks.

John Reeds, in 9b southern California

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search