Re: Re: TB: Cold Hardiness

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: TB: Cold Hardiness
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 02 17:03:18 -0500

>I would love to have you try some of my TB introductions. They are
>first and formost selected for cold hardiness. Garden Bride in
>particular, never seems to suffer from any cold weather damage, and
>increases well.

Hi Chuck,

I'm putting them on my wish list!  Unfortunately, TBs weren't the only
victims of our miserable winter this year.  Your little one, TWIST OF
TWILIGHT, who you generously allowed me to name for you, is now barely
clinging to life.  I thought it was dead, but I spied the tiniest hint of
green at ground level yesterday, so perhaps it's on its way back.  I sure
hope so!  RUBY ERUPTION, which you also sent me last year, is all
pineappled up but definitely still alive.  YAY!  I'd guess I lost 80-90%
of last year's acquisitions, and I was so certain I had a good cultural
practice going after my great success with my '00 purchases.  I had
almost no losses last year and was dealing with more 1st yr plants than I
am this year.

I intend to add more of your Canada-born children to my garden, Chuck.  I
will always have room for vigorous, tough, and lovely irises.  Thank you
for addressing the special needs of us northern climate iris lovers.

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
zone 3b northern MN - clay soil