CULT: Ugly Iris

Don,

I've moved this one over from iris-photo.  (More ugly iris lovers over here.)
 I went looking for Pond Lily on Mallorn because I'd never liked the
description enough to buy it, but was intrigued by the awards.  It's a lot
prettier than I'd imagined.  Sweet Musette taught me to like this pattern
more.

But I digress . . . your Ugly Iris photo!  Is your camera okay?  <g> This
truly is a case of ugly lasting forever!  (you happy, Bill?)  Somehow this
picture reminded me of a seedling of mine several years back.  Heads shook
when people saw it, but I kept it for years.  I loooved it!  It came from my
first year (86) of making crosses.

I'd decided to breed rebloomers but didn't have any . . . not real ones
anyway.  One bloom on Autumn Encore . . . it haunts me still. I hunted
through the records and identified the few CA rebloomers I owned.  As a
result, I made a lot of crosses with Peach Spot.  It's behind Champagne
Elegance and many other rebloomers of that color persuasion.

Anyway, I hung tags on that clump of PS like you wouldn't believe. One of the
things that took was Copper Mountain.  This child of theirs was tall with
perfect branching and it shone like a beacon across the garden.  It was
copper with clean cut and distinct bands of old gold.  Quite a contrast,
actually.  But consider the parents and you'll understand that most people
considered the form RATHER old!

 Betty Wilkerson Zone 7 south-central Kentucky

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.