CULT: Ugly Irises vs. beautiful irises

  • Subject: CULT: Ugly Irises vs. beautiful irises
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:32:49 -0500

Francelle,

>  Donald said Pond Lily was ugly?  Now I know that people have opposite
eyes.  I think Pond Lily is the most beautiful of all the irises in my
garden.

I thought when I posted that I was probably the only one in all of irisdom
that didn't like POND LILY!  I knew well and truly that it was a minority
position.  But 'truth in lending' and all that.  I might note that when I
have strong reactions toward something, the future indicates an opposite
position.  So some time from now, it's conceivable PL will be my favorite.

Since I listed two TBs, I thought I might list two TBs I think are simply
beautiful as a counterpoint.

For POND LILY I'd suggest SKATING PARTY.  Someone needs to tell me again
just what did beat it out for the Dykes.  It bloomed here for the first time
this year with two perfect stalks.....and they just sat there that way.  I
don't think I've ever had stalks sit there as long and look so unblemished.
On white too!  I do hope this one settles in and does well.

For TENNESSEE GENTLEMAN I'll go with CIRCUS, CIRCUS.  Clean, crisp coloring
and all that veining.  Boy do I like that veining!  But the whole effect is
just eye-catching beautiful.  Another one that hasn't been here long, I'm
hoping it doesn't get cranky on me.

As the post on yellows and the followups indicate, color preferences may
play a large part in how well an iris is liked or disliked.  I tend to like
strong colors and selfs.  Exceptions abound though.  I find magenta a harsh
color. Lilacs and lavenders are hard put to ever be my favorite color.  So
they have to be better than okay or I'm likely to be overly critical.  As a
result I didn't get PERSIAN BERRY for a long time, but posts from this list
persuaded me to try.  I'm thankful.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA