Re: Douglas Iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Douglas Iris
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:59:19 -0700

Iris douglasiana is the "coast iris" native to the coastal region of
California into Oregon. It is probably the most important species
behind the Pacific Coast hybrids. It is an ancestor to most of them
and provides gardenability as well as nice flower form and a range
of colors.

The Univerisity of California Berkeley Botanical garden has an extensive
collection of wild-collected forms. I have a web page with pictures
of some of them.

Ken Walker
Concord, CA USA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 14

scioneye wrote:

> Anybody know about these? I'm confused by the variation in the wild
> species. Clumps of dark purple blooms and white-flowered ones. The
> variety of colors is wonderful.
>             bahb.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!