Re: CULT: Don't Send Me Yellow Flowers

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Don't Send Me Yellow Flowers
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 21:43:42 -0500

Color preference is again a matter of individual taste, isn't it?  I love the yellows and oranges, almost all colors in fact, but especially the bold thingss.  Plicatas really attract.  On the other hand, you may keep all the pinks.  On our garden tour (our club members go look at some of the members' gardens every year--too many to take them all in) I saw Ovation for the first time, and a veteran member noted that it was reputed to be the darkest of all pinks.  Well, it certainly wasn't anywhere near the color it's usually shown to be in catalogs, and if I was ever thinking this might be a pink I'd like, I don't think so any longer.  You may keep it along with the others.  Our club members are always joking about my anti-
pink bias, as they know it well, but that's o.k. because I realize full well that it's just a personal whim, not a judgment of goodness or badness.  We all have a lot of fun about it.  As I looked at your lists of "Uglies" and "Beauties", Walter, I found that I was pretty well in agreement with both lists, insofar as I knew the cultivars mentioned.  Who can account for personal tastes, in flowers, foods, or almost anything else?  But how boring it would be if we were all alike.  We'd never have anything to stimulate discussion or make us learning new things.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250