Re: Growing JA Iris outdoors(Winter)

  • Subject: Re: Growing JA Iris outdoors(Winter)
  • From: irisdnd@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:42:22 EDT

 John,
  I live in Alameda Co.,CA.  Which is the same basic winter climate as you
are.  I grow approx. 35 Japanese Iris: in 1..2..& 5 gallon pots in Kiddie
pool (ponds) with about 6" of water maintained year round.
  Not only do the Iris do well (they do go dormant) over wintering, but he
feeder goldfish @ 10 for $1 also overwinter in the ponds.  The fish eat the
mosquito larvae, with some fish flakes supplemented. And their waste product
seems to feed the plants, whose roots in the process helps the water. I do
add dechlorinating/dechlorimines drops when adding water, as a safety for
both the fish and plants.

 My bloom is getting underway now, with about 6 varieties in bloom so far. I
get very good bloom size and branching on the stalks.

 If they start looking a little too yellow green....remove the pot from pond
and feed with ironite leave out a few days, watering by hand, then retutn to
the pond. I foliar feed with Miracle Grow Acid Food.

 Hope this helps~Diane

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!