Re:HYB: iris breeding question

  • Subject: Re:HYB: iris breeding question
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 07:08:07 -0400

Actually, the little men in labcoats come later, when they take you away
for a nice rest <g>

It is definitely something a backyard gardener can do, moderately
skilled or otherwise.  Getting a gorgeous result with great form,
substance, bud count, branching etc etc is the challenge.

Some of us on this discussion forum were beginners when we joined this
group, which has been going since 1996.  One of my first seedlings from
a cross I did that year bloomed for the first time this year and was a

To get started, there are several websites that have detailed
instructions, with pictures, showing how to make crosses.  The American
Iris Society website is a good place to start - follow the links.  If
you have patience and want to start reading a LOT of details about
hybridizing without waiting for The World of Iris, go to the Mallorn
archives, search for HYB (short for hybridizing, the subject line that
is used for those discussions) or hybridizing or pollen or pod etc and
you will find enough posts on the subject to keep you busy forever.

<Noticed that many of you are breeders of iris, and I was wondering: how
difficult is this? Is this  something a moderately skilled backyard
gardener can  get imersed in? Or does it take acres of greenhouses and
acres of land and little men in labcoats?  Alexander>

If there is an iris show in your area, there will probably be someone
there who has done some hybridizing who might be willing to show you how
it's done.  Depending on your climate, it may or may not be easy to make
successful crosses.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
Always eager to have more unanswerable questions from fresh minds...

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.