Re: OT: 'SHOUTING' in e-mail

On Thu, 01 May 2003 10:57:35 -0500, you wrote:

>Who decided that using all caps was shouting?
as has been said - it is an internet custom.

As my mom (Rosalie Figge) said - all caps is harder to read.  Early in
her internet career I explained about all caps to her.  SHE didn't get
all huffy about it and go off in a snit.  I guess she is young in
heart enough to be flexible and willing to listen

>Is there a rule against using all caps on iris-talk?

The reason for the custom is that when you are typing in text where
you can't underline or make something bold to stand out, the default
way to emphasize something is to make it ALL CAPS.  The alternative is
to use **asterisks**.  This is a text based list
>What about those who use all lower case letters and don't even capitalize the
>personal pronoun 'i?'  Nobody seems to get bent out of shape over this.
Because that is purely a grammatical problem.  There aren't any
grammar police here (although there are in some places on the
internet).  It's just like misspelling words or saying 'lie' instead
of 'lay' or something like that.

>Since I am a librarian, our library has a substantial Large Print collection for people
>whose eyesight is failing or is otherwise impaired.  It is amazing to find that there are
>a number of people who check out Large Print who have no problems with vision at
>all, so there are readers 'who swing both ways,' and it doesn't bother them.   We also
>have 'talking books' for people whose hearing is failing.  People whose hearing is
>normal check out those, too.
>So, the point of all of this:
>All of us should try to be aware that there are those among us who have physical
>challenges and be considerate of those conditions.

When my mom had cataracts and had trouble reading she was able to
communicate without using all caps.  All caps is/are not easier to
read for those with vision problems especially.
>If you start to read a post in all caps or know a message is going to be in all caps (or
>all lower case,) and it is going to upset you, then delete it and let somebody who is
>not bothered by such conventions answer the post.

That's what I would do, but some people want to be helpful to
>Saying that the use of all caps is shouting is a bunch of hooey, and to deny the use
>of caps to print handicapped people who want to use the computer is just not right.
>Walter Moores
>Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (Watching the bloom season decline.) :-(

I'm disappointed in your attitude Walter.  I mostly lurk here, but I
always enjoy your posts.  I think you are dead wrong about this

Rosalie Beasley in MD