Re: SHOUTING in e-mail

Hi all,
It's me - the culprit :-) Only I was not the cause of all this, it was actually Doris who complained. I just tried to give a reason. I am a teacher, and generally never give a 'rule' without a 'reason'. Why should my piano students sit straight with both feet flat on the floor, when they are more comfortable slouched over, with feet tucked up under the piano stool?

Walter I agree with you that we must take into consideration other peoples possible difficulties in reading. I don't, however, agree that reading caps is easier than reading lower case. Like you I find lower totally lower case just as difficult to read, and lack of punctuation even worse. I had to warn someone on a list I moderate, about unpunctuated writing that everyone was complaining about. Add to that the fact that this poor woman thought every e-mail to the list was a personal e-mail to her, and answered every single one, even some of her own, flooding the list, and losing some valuable members for us.

There is considerable precedent for the use of Caps to emphasise ones print. Before bold print was easy to use, caps were used to EMPHASISE particular words, so they STOOD OUT. If you think of reading this passage, you would naturally increase your voice volume on those words. If everything is bold print, it appears LOUD to people who are used to this convention.
In the early days of e-mail, bold print and flaming were almost synonomous. I used to read Piano-L and they had some great flaming matches in bold print.

I think the most important thing for newbies, is to gently help them to learn the various conventions in the e-mail world. Always give a reason for the rule and give it politely. Hmmm - I thought that was what I had done.
Of course, where I came into the argument was - Rolla did not understand the method of quoting exerpts of other people's e-mails, so thought the whole thing was written by me :-)

I wrote a reply at the time, but never posted it. The way I was rudely abused for something I hadn't done struck me as narrow minded and ignorant, so I thought it best to leave it alone. Something else minor would have sooner or later led to the same result.

John - perhaps a list of e-mail conventions could be posted to newbies on the list. Of course some would find the whole thing so overwhelming they would give up before they started, and others wouldn't be bothered reading them :-(

Ah well - back to iris talk hey?
Cheers, Jan, enjoying the last of rebloom on SERENE SEA (shouted loudly in bold blue) and about to plant daffodils and all the potted medians that have waited so long for a home.

> Saying that the use of all caps is shouting is a bunch of hooey, and to deny the use
> of caps to print handicapped people who want to use the computer is just not right.
> Walter Moores

Ahhh, but it is not hooey. It has been the general usage format of all
*civilized* discourse on the net. If there were no other option to make
letters bigger, then you might have a point.
Bottom line, it is John's list and his guidelines and rules are the
word, not mine, not anyone elses...

- --
Catherine Button Network Administrator cathy@pavcal.com
Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444 Fax: 609-518-3720

cathy@gixxergirl.org http://www.gixxergirl.org/