Re: HYB: introducing (was Mogensen P1-13)

What are we to do with these tough, performing, less than perfect
seedlings?  They may never hold up to west coast standards of
excellence, just as west coast climate won't make it easy for west coast
hybridizers to select for irises that will perform for us.

I guess that's a rhetorical question, but I am scratching my head over
what to do with my own seedlings, what directions to go next.  This
year, the one year since this list started in 1996 that I have normal
bloom on many/most cultivars, I wish I had all kinds of newer things to
choose from.  Six years out of seven, I'd rather have my more limited
selection of tougher, reliable cultivars.

I have seedlings producing lots of very pretty show stalks in large
established clumps that have bloomed reluctantly and with few buds on
damaged stalks in prior years.  Should I be trying to produce seedlings
that will look fantastic on the west coast and won't bloom nicely for
me?  Should I just throw these lovelies in the garbage?

Who knows, Neil, maybe your kid would have Silverado branching if it
were in Oregon/California.

<I am at a loss
                   on whether to put this one out, as I'd like my babies
to have Silverado or even Jersey Bounce branching
                   and bud counts.  Alas, this one doesn't.  Still, it
adds up to a delightful and pleasing garden subject that
                   demands attention.  I'd like to know how it performs
in climates different than this as well before casting
                   it out to take its kudos or lumps, whichever comes
its way.  Neil Mogensen  z6b/7a near Asheville/Hendersonville, NC>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8