Re: HYB:Garden Value

Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 5/2/2003 6:30:08 AM Central Standard Time,
>lmann@volfirst.net writes:
>

>>What are we to do with these tough, performing, less than perfect
>>seedlings?
>>

>Some people may only grow irises with show quality branching. It's a personal
>choice.
>
>Where I live now, my garden blooms earlier than others in the area and I
>don't have anything left when we have our show.  Therefore, I must see the
>value of garden irises!
>
>Is there still room for garden quality irises that do not have show bench
>branching? I think so, but maybe I'm in the minority.

Not at all. Contrary to what some may think, the responsibility of
judges is to encourage the development of *garden* irises.

Branching does have an impact on a garden iris. Suppose you have a
seedling that has a dynamite flower - great new color pattern, wonderful
domed standards, falls that display just the right amount etc.  However,
the terminal (top) bud shows 12 inches above the foliage, but the
branching is so low and short that you have to be on top of the clump to
see it. From across the garden all you see is a single bloom.

Contrast that with an iris that has a great, large flower showing at 42
inches, well above the foliage. The branches are however way too high,
putting all the flowers in the top 25% of the stalk height, and the
first mild wind that comes along blows the whole thing over into the mud.

Sure, these are extreme cases, but the fact is that branching, toe-in
and other factors affect how the plant shows in the garden.

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society