Re: HYB:Garden Value

--- John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:

Quoting Betty:

>>> Is there still room for garden quality irises that do not
have show bench branching? I think so, but maybe I'm in the
minority. <<<

John responded:

>>> Not at all. Contrary to what some may think, the
responsibility of judges is to encourage the development of
*garden* irises. <<<

I quote, "AIS awards should be based totally on garden
performance. The most important aspects of judging in the garden
deal with the plant: its ability to produce increase, to produce
numerous blossoms of quality and to resist disease. Garden
judging is very different from exhibition judging, and judges
should be sure that they do not use exhibition techniques when
judging in the garden."

*From page 15 in the AIS Judge's Handbook (I cut and pasted
these snippets).*

As an aside, far and away the vast majority of iris growers
never enter a show with their flowers. I am among them because
of my climate (mainly) but I have judged shows.

Exhibitions (shows) are just that  - shows. I agree that they
are of _great_ importance for many reasons and I heartily
endorse our iris shows.

Ellen Gallagher  <ellengalla@yahoo.com> / Berlin, New Hampshire / USDA Zone 3a
Siberian-Species Iris Convention 2003, June 12-15 - Hamilton, ON Canada
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm  (Siberian iris pages)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~median/  (Median iris pages)
http://www.irisregister.com/  (AIS checklist data)