Re: SHOUTING in e-mail

janclarx@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi all,
> It's me - the culprit :-) Only I was not the cause of all this, it was
> actually Doris who complained. I just tried to give a reason. I am a
> teacher, and generally never give a 'rule' without a 'reason'. Why should
> my
> piano students sit straight with both feet flat on the floor, when they are
>
> more comfortable slouched over, with feet tucked up under the piano stool?
>
> Walter I agree with you that we must take into consideration other peoples
> possible difficulties in reading. I don't, however, agree that reading caps
>
> is easier than reading lower case. Like you I find lower totally lower case
>
> just as difficult to read, and lack of punctuation even worse. I had to
> warn
> someone on a list I moderate, about unpunctuated writing that everyone was
> complaining about. Add to that the fact that this poor woman thought every
> e-mail to the list was a personal e-mail to her, and answered every single
> one, even some of her own, flooding the list, and losing some valuable
> members for us.
>
> There is considerable precedent for the use of Caps to emphasise ones
> print.
> Before bold print was easy to use, caps were used to EMPHASISE particular
> words, so they STOOD OUT. If you think of reading this passage, you would
> naturally increase your voice volume on those words. If everything is bold
> print, it appears LOUD to people who are used to this convention.
> In the early days of e-mail, bold print and flaming were almost synonomous.
>
> I used to read Piano-L and they had some great flaming matches in bold
> print.
>
> I think the most important thing for newbies, is to gently help them to
> learn the various conventions in the e-mail world. Always give a reason for
>
> the rule and give it politely. Hmmm - I thought that was what I had done.
> Of course, where I came into the argument was - Rolla did not understand
> the
> method of quoting exerpts of other people's e-mails, so thought the whole
> thing was written by me :-)
>
> I wrote a reply at the time, but never posted it. The way I was rudely
> abused for something I hadn't done struck me as narrow minded and ignorant,
>
> so I thought it best to leave it alone. Something else minor would have
> sooner or later led to the same result.
>
> John - perhaps a list of e-mail conventions could be posted to newbies on
> the list. Of course some would find the whole thing so overwhelming they
> would give up before they started, and others wouldn't be bothered reading
> them :-(
>
> Ah well - back to iris talk hey?
> Cheers, Jan, enjoying the last of rebloom on SERENE SEA (shouted loudly in
> bold blue) and about to plant daffodils and all the potted medians that
> have
> waited so long for a home.

Jan,

I found your message polite and trying to be helpful. It unfortunately
followed other messages so evoked a response to your message specifically
that was probably intended as a response to all the messages in general. This
internet "library" of ours holds in excess of 10,000,000,000 pages with no
chief librarian so all we patrons have to help each other.

F.Y.I.:

AS the WWW proliferation flooded the internet system a few guys in a garage
tried to index the new sites and invited people to use their "card catalog"
as a public service. Their Yahoo site has changed a lot since then<VBG>

Michael