Re: OT: 'SHOUTING' in e-mail

In a message dated 5/1/03 11:40:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jijones@usjoneses.com writes:

> >Who decided that using all caps was shouting?
> >

> It is a convention that has developed as the internet came into its
> popularity. The world is full of conventions, from saying "please" to
> not exposing the sole of your shoe to a Saudi Prince unless you want to
> insult him, and many others inbetween. However,  as we are trying to
> communicate to the reader, we have to be cognizant of how our words9and
> deeds) are going to be interpreted. We may not like the way something is
> treated, but if you want to get your point across, you have to speak in
> a language that is understood and carries your meaning with it.

FWIW

FYI:

Intranets allowed electronic messages (emails) to be sent in ASCII txt only.
If you were upset at a fellow employee you screamed at him in all caps.
Internets are joined intranets. The "Internet" was basically joined internets
connected through 220 bps Modems (today56,000bps is common) . The most common
"flame" was " ALL YOU G**** D**** NEWBIES GET OFF THE NET". Emails were
available in much the same fashion as the messages in this list so having to
read through "flame wars" (long series of messages of verbal charecter
assinations in all caps" really inflamed everyone else!! The time to download
each text message was about the same as loading a web page today so posting
in all caps was the WORST  thing you could do.

Message sizes were also limited so coventions such as standard abbreviations
FWIW, LOL, ROTFL began. ALso Smicons {:>)

FWIW - For What it's Worth IMHO - IN My Humble Opinion

IMHO all problems with anothers post should go to John who can then go talk
out his frustrations with the iris

Michael, Living in dire fear of the title of GREATGRANDFATHER here in
Stockton Ca..