Re: Re: HYB: introducing (was Mogensen P1-13)

From: Linda Mann
What are we to do with these tough, performing, less than perfect
seedlings?  They may never hold up to west coast standards of
excellence, just as west coast climate won't make it easy for west coast
hybridizers to select for irises that will perform for us.

Only the hybridizer can make that decision.
The iris-buying public will "judge" your iris, if their opinion really matters
to you.
Many of Monty Byers' things had flaws, the rebloom and garden vigor made them
In recent years, Ghio and other hybridizers of "modern" iris have produced
more reblooming and extremely vigorous iris than before.
I have been thrilled to find that recent Barry Blyth intros grow much better
for me than most of his older ones, and most have far superior form.
Some iris hybridizers every year introduce things I would compost on sight; I
can't imagine yours are any worse.
Sutton's intro Abiding Joy is a good example of an average-quality flower
worth keeping because of tall, many-budded stalks any easy garden habits.
Nowhere near my top 20, not a "Ghio-quality" flower and not good branching
structure (at least for me), but lovely in the garden.
So is a tough as nails, average-looking flower worth keeping as a breeder?
Probably, if you like it.  Is it worth introducing?  Only you get to decide.
Is it worth buying?  That's up to us.

John Reeds
lamegardener@msn.comGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :