Re: HYB: Introducing

Thank you John R - that really helps.  I have a tendency to try to
figure out what other people's decisions are going to be or might be and
forget to focus on my own decisions.

<So is a tough as nails, average-looking flower worth keeping as a
breeder?
Probably, if you like it.  Is it worth introducing?  Only you get to
decide.   Is it worth buying?  That's up to us.  John Reeds>

Right now, I'm really enjoying the less reliable but <much (!!)> more
beautiful siblings of one I recklessly sent off for the California
convention.  Wouldn't you know the 'tough as nails' seedling is almost
the worst of the bunch?  But what good are these beauties to me if they
won't bloom reliably here?  Tough as nails plants, like ROMANTIC
EVENING, but similar no-show bloom until this spring.  I guess I will
line out a few of the best in a few different microclimates to see what
they do.

When I admire <show stalks> it isn't because they will look good on the
show bench, but because the placement of blooms on the stalk in relation
to the ground makes a nice display.  But I also like 'popsicle'
bloomstalks, with low bud count, if the cultivar puts up a lot of stalks
and makes a really densely blooming clump.

My "Dusky Grape" seedling is a wonderful garden plant here at the house,
but shot up to nearly 50 inches tall with enormous floppy blooms on
spindley stalks and hit the dirt on plants moved to the ridgetop last
summer.  So that one won't be introduced for sure, even tho it is a
gorgeous, storm proof, well-behaved plant in the gravel rows and is one
I will keep for a long time.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8