TB:Varietal Comments--Blyth

Several years ago I had just about give up on Blyth irises.  They
bloomed either too early and got caught in a late freeze or too late
and cooked in the hot sun.

With all of the talk about them doing so well for others, I decided to
try a few more.  I must admit I did avoid more VE ones like
CHOCOLATE VANILLA, which got killed every year by a feeze.

MASTERY is the 'pansy iris.'  That is the best way to describe it.
Brilliant golden standards over chocolate falls with a wide, wide brim
of tan.  This is a marvelous color combination and cannot possibly
be mistaken for another iris.  Mine is a first year plant, and even if
the branching isn't the best or doesn't improve next year, it is worthy
of a place in your garden.  Totally different.

MONET'S LADY is a golden amoena which started blooming in the
middle of the season and is still at it.  The contrast is sharp and the
substance is strong enough to take all of the elements tossed at it.
I expect better branching on this one next year, too.

QUEEN OF ELEGANCE - and she is!  This is a pale blue (not blue
white) which has slightly darker standards and overlapping falls.   Its
beauty mark is an outpouring of darker blue from the beards like a
waterfall.  This one showed excellent branching on a first year plant.

Since these did so well, I guess I should go back to the catalogs and
revise my orders by adding more Blyth varieties.  It is so tempting
after seeing these.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (Who also likes Merle Robert's varieties).