Re: HYB:Garden Value

> In a message dated 5/2/2003 6:30:08 AM Central Standard Time,
> lmann@volfirst.net writes:
> Is there still room for garden quality irises that do not have show bench
> branching? I think so, but maybe I'm in the minority. ???

Hi Betty and all,

I think there is plenty of room for quality garden irises that do not have
show bench branching and I do not think you are in the minority at all!

I can simply look in the gardens of our local club members to find them, as
well as in my own back yard.  Almost everyone's garden I have seen have
these irises in them.

I also know of a few irises that have been introduced basically as garden
varieties because the public loved it so much - regardless of the branching.

And furthermore (ducking from those blows coming from California)
MESMERIZER.  our illustrious Dykes winner, even though I got best specimen
of show with it last year, it yearly has a stalk or two that falls down and
goes boom due to heavy top growth on the branch.

Heck, for that matter, I have even heard VICTORIA FALLS being referred to as
VICTORIA FALLS OVER by people back east.

In addition to the above, a show bench branched variety in the garden on a 2
or 3 year clump may not show as well in the garden if it has wide branching.
Those blooms will hit other leaves and stalks and not look as good as
something with narrower branching that is closer to the top of the branch.

Iris stalks that snake provide great additions to floral arrangements too.

I grow irises because I like them.  The varieties I grow are the varieties I
enjoy, regardless of branching.  Only the irises I bring to the iris show
are the ones that I have to be concerned with about branching.  I do not
buy, nor do I subscribe to the idea that anyone should only buy irises based
on AIS judging rules. The Symposium that people fill out yearly and the
Ballots people fill out at the treks are based on the public's choice, not
the AIS handbook (even thought there are a lot of judges casting ballots).
The judges have their own ballots to fill out based on those rules.

So my advise to everyone would be.Grow what you like,they'll make more.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9