Re: HYB: pollen, successes

In a message dated 5/3/2003 7:42:02 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> We talked a lot about success & failures in getting pods.  I mentioned
> the temperature/humidity that Sharon M recommended - less than 85oF,
> greater than 30% humidity.  Tom says that while he hasn't taken notes,
> his impression has been that he has better success when temperatures are
> quite a bit lower than that and when humidity is greater than 80%.
> That translates to early morning and after sundown, or cloudy days.

I certainly agree that cooler temperatures are better.  Here in southern New
Mexico, when afternoon temperatures exceed 85 crosses are a waste of time &
pollen.

Higher relative humidity also seems to be beneficial -- but I'm grateful for
ANY day that's above 20.

What I'd like to hear from those working in other climates:

1.    Is there a minimum temperature [above freezing, of course] at which
crosses are less likely to be successful?

2.    Is there a maximum relative humidity [short of rain] above which
crosses are less likely to be successful?

Sharon McAllister