Re: HYB: pollen, successes

On 4 May 2003 at 1:34, ArilbredBreeder@cs.com wrote:

> What I'd like to hear from those working in other climates:
>
> 1.    Is there a minimum temperature [above freezing, of course] at which
> crosses are less likely to be successful?

The temperature range here in north MS that is best for crossing is
70o to 85o.

> 2.    Is there a maximum relative humidity [short of rain] above which
> crosses are less likely to be successful?

The humidity range for best results is probably from 30% to 50%.
The pollen grains do not open up well when you have higher
humidity as in the 60 to 80% range.

The best times are warm, sunny days with no rainfall in the forecast.
A shower later in the day or the night after a session of daubing
usually ruins things.

The best hours are from 11 a.m. to about 2 p.m., depending upon
other conditions stated above.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8