Re: purple at base of leaves

I recall a discussion awhile back about purple at the base of the leaves where they come off the rhizome(does that area have a specific name?. What I can't recall is what, if anything, that purplish color means.

I just noticed it on one of my historics and was intrigued. Anyone care to elaborate?

Pat Mitchell
I just grow 'em cuz I love their form (and they bloom during the best time of summer)