SPEC-X: Bearded Spec-X

The other day I received the flyer of "Bearded Irises" from Lynn and
Peter Markham.  They use i.aphylla quite a bit in their breeding lines
and produce aphylla hybrids.  These are registered as Spec-X.

Brad Kasperek's BLUEBERRY FILLY is a Spec-X from Ostry White,
an aphylla.

Ben Hager used i.aphylla and i.balkana, but he did not register them
as Spec-X.  They were MTBs, IBs, TBs.

I think Vicki Craig also uses i.aphylla in her MTBs and IBs, and they
are registered as such, and not Spec-X.

My question is why are some registered as Spec-X and others not?
Is there a quantum factor here as in arilbreds?  How long have we
had Spec-X?

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8