RE: CULT: Bloom-out

Yes, Char, I will leave them alone until they have to be dug later this
summer.  A few times I have found a new shoot or two in a bloomed out
clump and thus have saved the cultivar for another year.  But it's sad
to see a two year clump with 16 increases put up 16 stalks.  My
Celebration Song did that last year and I lost it.  In my guest bed I
have Oasis Dragon, Midnight Moonlight and Royal Storm doing that right
now.  Some clumps have been blooming since the middle of March and are
still sending up new stalks.  They aren't rebloomers either.  I feel
like screaming at them, "Quit blooming!"

Francelle Edwards    Glendale,  AZ   Zone 9

On Mon, 5 May 2003 20:55:40 -0700 "FRANCELLE EDWARDS"
<FJMJEDWARDS@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> I have a problem I don't understand.  Several of my guest irises are
> blooming out.  The clumps looked so big and healthy, but they just
> keep
> sending up bloom stalks until nothing is left.
>
> Do any of you have any idea what causes this problem?

Francelle, if they are in full bloom now, wouldn't it be a little early
to know if they are really bloomed out? Seems like we see increases come
later. I'd give them some time. Sounds like they just like what you're
doing for them.

Char
Melba, Idaho
Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!