From: Mickey Corley
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 5:44 AM
To: INTERNET:iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] purple at base of leaves

Message text written by INTERNET:iris@hort.net
>Pat Mitchell <corgilover@wi.rr.com> wrote

I recall a discussion awhile back about purple at the base of the
leaves where they come off the rhizome(does that area have a specific
name?.  What I can't recall is what, if anything, that purplish color

I just noticed it on one of my historics and was intrigued.  Anyone
care to elaborate?

I waited a couple of days hoping someone more knowledgable would answer
your question.  The people in the know call this PBF (purple based
foliage).  The information I've received through iris-talk is that it
occurs on some plants in some areas when it may not in another area.