Re: Re: HYB: pollen, successes

In a message dated 5/4/2003 5:33:41 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> Tom Parkhill would say no - the more humidity, the better, as long as
> temperatures are not too high.  Which means less total moisture in the
> air?  Would that matter more than relative humidity?

An interesting question....

True -- if the absolute humidity is constant, relative humidity drops as
temperature rises.

Southern NM is hardly typical hybridizing country.  Our RH has been hovering
about 10% lately.  Even though I run the humidifier in the house 'round the
clock, it has been days since the hygrometer [located about 5 feet away] has
registered as high as 25%.  Even that is classified as too dry for human
comfort, and I discovered long ago that when the air is so dry that I'm
miserable it's really a waste of time, effort, and pollen to make any crosses.

Here, higher humidity is definitely advantageous.  I'd close the kit and make
a run for the house if hit by a surprise shower, but otherwise the more humid
the better!  I have a lot of experience with hybridizing under adverse
conditions due to low humidity, but have wondered about the other end of the
continuum.

Environmental conditions are just one aspect.  Timing is another, and earlier
discussions have revealed that in cooler, more humid climates the window of
receptivity is longer.  Do the flowers also open on a different timetable in
different climates?

Ah, well....  If the world of hybridizing were simple, it wouldn't be nearly
so much fun!

Sharon McAllister