Re: CULT: Winter Iris

When we were visiting in southern California a few Januarys ago we saw several
clumps of an iris in bloom, some species unknown to me.  I took pictures and
showed them at our iris club when we returned.  The late Larry Harder, who
seemed to know every kind of iris at sight, instantly identified it as I.
stylosa, apparently the same as the one to which you referred, Doris.
Blooming in southen CA in January would not make any iris a "winter iris",
though, as we also saw then and again in Jan., 2001 and 2003 a number of tall
beardeds in bloom as well.  It seems to me that neither CA nor El Paso would
be fair testing grounds for an iris to gain that distinction.

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net