HYB: Secret Service

Keppel's 2002 intro Secret Service put up a single stalk for me this year,
from the barely remaining mother rhizome.  It may have only two flowers this
time (burnt pollen on the second one); but I have three pods from it already
on Tuscan Villa (Blyth 2001/2), a yellow bitone resembling its parent Louisa's
Song in flower form and quality.

Still watching an unusual seedling of mine with very good form and substance,
a strange very pale blue/gray/green shade with metallic greenish golden
haft/shoulder overlay.  The buds are very green buds except for the lacy pale
blue tips; about 3 days after opening the green on the underside of the petals
fades to a heavy amber-yellow wash and veining.  The show-through of the
yellowish-green into the icy blue falls apparently creates the blue/gray/green
effect.  I have seen pale blues before with some greenish hint to the veins,
but nothing quite like this.  I'll have to give it more room next year and
watch for height and bud count.

A wild space-age reblooming BB plicata seedling of mine is just showing color.
Have to cross it with something taller.  Laugh Lines appears to be finished;
so Stage Lights may be the best bet.  Kinda' plain for a luminata, but in the
bloodlines of many excellent ones and a remarkable garden iris in a class full
of lovely but weak and rot-prone varieties.

John Reeds, in 9b southern California
lamegardener@msn.com

- Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com