CULT: TB: late bloom

It's very near the end of bloom season, so to bid the TBs farewell for
the year, here are a few comments on the last to go.

LEADING LIGHT - continues to be one I really like.  She had a massive
rot attack for no apparent reason one year, so I bid her fond farewell -
too soon!  She bounced back and made a nice clump again.  I don't treat
for rot & really appreciate those that heal themselves.  A bright, tall,
showy, peach and gold bicolor.

AVE - every year, she is better.  A wonderful, clump forming, white iris
with massive (thick) stalks like nothing else in the garden, except
maybe YAQUINA BLUE, which is probably going to be a freeze victim most
years.  Lots of bloom.

JEWELED STARLIGHT - an older iris that has had bloom frozen out every
year I've had it, but has continued to grow well, waiting for a good
year.  Spectacular stalks this year.  Yellow & white.

WILD CARD - this one has had to work to get my attention.  It's a
reddish lavender plicata, small flowers, nothing too exciting, but it is
so healthy and reliable that I've grown to really appreciate it.  The
description says it's one of those with no two blooms alike, but it is
pretty much a plain plicata here, with occasional random spattering of
extra color on the falls.

SWINGTOWN - a very healthy, reliable iris here.  I much prefer the
ancestral SULTRY MOOD form, but I keep hoping to move some of those
tense, tight, heavy substance genes into some with really old form &
substance.  Like a lot of the fancy modern formed irises here, the
blooms on this one are often deformed.  I'm not sure if that's from
winter injury or other stress during bloom - like the 6 inches of rain
we had last week.

MOON LOVE - a lovely, pale yellow & cream white.  Not the most reliable
bloomer her, but sure is pretty this year.

LIGHTNING RIDGE - my old, stubborn, tough, lovely favorite.  Blooms in
the weeds, in the drought, after freezes, after drowning, etc etc.
Creamy tan standards over dark rose falls, tangerine beards.

unknown bronze - still trying to figure this one out.  It's not RUSTIC
CEDAR.  Same color class, but later to bloom and with a distinctly
purple/pink cast to the standards that RUSTIC CEDAR doesn't have.  It
also has smaller flowers than RUSTIC CEDAR, although that may be due to
growing conditions.  When crossed with CELEBRATION SONG, it produced a
light pink seedling and a dark pink and rose-red bitone seedling.

ELECT LADY - holy smoke, what a strongly colored, bright pink!  This is
its second year here, it didn't bloom last year, so I don't know what it
will be like in the long term, but wow, what color!  Thanks Walter.

JACQUELINE - another one that I like more and more the longer I have
it.  A red black, slow growing but reliable bloomer.

SKYWALKER - I love this one, in spite of its modern form <g>.
Horizontal falls, but such a pretty light blue with slightly darker
wash.  It hasn't bloomed before, so I may not get to see it very often,
but it's healthy, and is definitely a keeper.  Thanks Neil.

SUNSHINE AND SNOW - new this year, so hard to say what it will do most
years.  Yellow and white, loaded with smallish blooms and extra stalks.

SHAH JEHAN - absolutely gorgeous, very old iris - cream yellow
standards, plush red black falls with light rim to match the standards.
Lovely.

And last but not least,
A new 'mart iris, claiming to be PAINTED CLOUDS.  Lovely pinkish
lavender and white, slightly lacy.  This one may be the last to open
here, but it spent a long time in a little plastic baggie last year, so
might be earlier to bloom in the future.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8