COMP: files - unanswered questions

The thread on iris-photos reminded me that I got two offlist questions
during bloom season that I never answered.

One was about signature files - I use Netscape, and one of the options
it gives is whether or not to use a signature file, and if so, what that
file is called & where it is located.  My signature file is just a .txt

The other was about how to tell what size (KB, not visual size) a file
is by using Windows Explorer.  On my version, I just open Explorer, pick
the folder I want to look at, then use the <Views> icon to select
<details>.  Explorer then displays the name of the files in that folder,
the size in KB, the type of file, and the date it was created.

My version of Netscape is old, and so is Windows (98), & I don't know
how well this information will translate to other software.

I apologize for taking so long to answer your questions.  Figuring out
how to get photos emailed was a big hurdle for me too - finally solved
by buying some software that would do the things everybody kept telling
me my existing, abbreviated, came-with-the-cameras softwares would do,
but couldn't.

The one I'm using now, Roxio Photosuite, still won't let me figure out
ahead of time for sure what I'll wind up with, but I've found that by
saving as email & setting file size to less than 70KB seems to work
reasonably well as long as I remember to trim & resize before I save.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8