CULT: Balloon Pods

> Last year the neighbor around the corner had a bunch of pods.  I could see
> them as I drove by, but there were so many of them that I didn't believe
> they were pods, I kept waiting for them to bloom into tiger lilies or
> something.
>
> christian

Before you get your hopes up too high, keep in mind that irises
produce a lot of air (balloon) pods - false pregnancies.  You can
usually tell by the 'veins' in the pods.  If they remain 'ribbed' or have
ribs which do not smooth out and fatten up, it is likely they are air
pods.  Most of the time, there are no seeds.  Occasionally, there
may be one or two, but never a full pod - just 'airheads.'

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8