Re: HYB: bee & balloon pods

I have a lot more pods than usual from unintentional crosses this year.
As Walter says, a lot of these may turn out to be balloon pods (for that
matter, sometimes the intentional crosses balloon), but some have
already plumped up.

A lot of the unintentional pods are on plants (the same stalk for that
matter) where I've tried to make crosses.  I have one stalk of HARVEST
OF MEMORIES this year with all three terminals (triple socketed bloom at
the top of the stalk) forming pods.  Two were intentional, the third
wasn't.

Many fewer pods on those that I never tried to use.

??  I see few actual bees working the irises, bumblebees or other types,
but hoardes of various other very small flying & slithering insects
working over the pollen, & have wondered if maybe they are moving pollen
from to other blooms on the stalk.

I've always saved & planted bee pods, mostly because I was rarely
successful with intentional crosses.  Sometimes, the kids are nice.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8