Re: Re: HIST: orange?

On 20 May 2003 at 13:57, DFerguson@cabq.gov wrote:

> Thanks Neil and Walter.
>
> I looked briefly online for the three you listed, and found a photo of only
> 'Orange Parade'.  The photo on the HIPS web sight makes it look more
> pinkish than orange, but it looks basically close to what I had in mind.
> So far, I haven't located photos of 'Orange Crush' nor of 'Orange Frills'.
> Both sound (from the names) like they might have a more "modern" look than
> 'Orange Parade'.

   Dave,

   Orange Parade is 'orange orange,'  believe me.  I think Melba
Hamblen called it Spanish orange.

   Orange Crush is a burnt orange, as I recall, which means it is
darker with brownish tones - like the current Golden Panther, which
is not golden or the Great White Hope, which isn't white.    Orange
Frills is one I never saw, and as Neil said with those irises from the
hybridizer Suiter,  they might have lacked distribution.  I don't know
how 'orange' Orange Frills is.

You might check p. 99 of The World of Irises, under The Quest for
Orange, for other varieties of that day.  The AM winners were:

Celestial Glory
Orange Parade
Chinese Coral
Mission Sunset
Son of Star

A child of OP is Ahead of Times.  It is a good grower and always
rebloomed for me around July 4th.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8 USA