From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net]On Behalf Of
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 1:56 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] bloom reports; 103 degrees

Well, hopefully your not getting our latest weather in Texas too.
Yesterday evening we had a 30 degree drop in temperature in about 15
minutes and it went from a beatiful calm 86 F to a huricane at 56 F.
Within 10 minutes the wind was blowing at over 60 mph and is still blowing
at the house now (about 40 mph now).  Over night it never dropped below 65
mph, and gusts were up to - the magic number (at least) 103 mph. [The gage
doesn't work too well over 90mph or so, tends to flop around a bit
itself.].  Needless to say, Iris season is officially over,  there are no
stalks left to bloom.  The roses are defoliated, the trees are thrashed and
bare or broken, and it is a mess.  I didn't sleep any either.  Why do I try
to grow things anyway?

This morning on the local news the wind was the big story and they said
"peak gusts were up to 52 mph" in Albuquerque.  I just started laughing,
that's a mild breeze at our house.  When I got to town there wasn't even a
petal out of place on the roses at the Botanic Garden, and some four inch
pots of Larkspur we set out to plant hadn't even tipped over.  At the house
a greenhouse furnace and the cinder blocks that were holding the cover over
it were rolling down the drive (I kid you not!).   I think I can still use
the furnace? The car wasn't exactly where I parked it either, even though
the break was on.  The Jeep, Van, and Pickup didn't budge, but they are
heavier.  Some roofing to repair too.

I'm getting really tired of "starting over".  Oh well, back to the drawing
board.  At least it didn't hurt the Iris plants any, just snapped most the
old stalks off for me, so I didn't have to.  It did break some of the cacti
off.  Amazingly, a 12 ft (and still growing) Agave stalk in the front yard
didn't snap off  -  go figure.