wmoores@watervalley.net wrote:>The grower has no control over whether the
extra petals ' show or don't show,' so I don't think I could penalize him if
the extra petals
>are not present on a show entry.

I guess I would have to know the characteristics of the region to make a
decision at the show bench.

Well, I sort of understand both schools of thought, and I do know that
space-agers may be downgraded for lack of appendages (seems unfair for those
introduced as "occasionally shows small horns"); but what about iris with a
characteristic FLAW, such as many space-agers with folds down the middle of
the falls?  If you somehow grew a "perfect" one without the unattractive fold,
could someone downgrade it for lack of the characteristic fold?  I hope not!
Some people consider space-age appendages a flaw (I don't), and extra petals
are generally considered a flaw.  If a normally flawed iris comes out perfect
for once, should it be downgraded?

John Reeds, figurin' that good hard thinkin' may be more important than