Re: TB: HYB: Dusky Challenger offspring

Ok, folks, following up on a thread from a while ago, here's the list of
DUSKY CHALLENGER kids listed in the '90s checklist.  The only one I grow
is SUDDEN IMPACT, which grows very well for me, although bloom is often
frozen out.  Lovely blooms.

Does anybody know of a source for CHARLIE O?  With those two parents,
that's one I'd like to try.  It's from California, so might not be one
that would do well here, but I'd still like to give it a go.

Most of Chun Fan's introductions seem to do well in our region, & the
two I've tried are really good here so far, plus MIDNIGHT THUNDERSTORMS
is a late bloomer, so that's another one I want to try eventually.

Bloom on TEMPTONE got frozen out this year, and since this was an
exceptionally good bloom year, that doesn't bode well for it here, but
maybe its later blooming sibling, NEW CHALLENGE, would do better for me.

Both of the Burseen kids may be a bit early for me, ditto for the
Feuerstein kids - anybody with late freezes tried these?

Can't guess about the others.  I confess I've been avoiding Cooley's
introductions unless it's recommended by somebody in our region ever
since I read their growing instructions to 'avoid overhead watering'.
It has rained almost constantly for the last couple of weeks.  I've
dumped at least 6 inches of rainfall out of the gauge and that's on top
of the 6 inches of rain during the floods a few weeks back.  So I assume
Cooley intros will not do well here.  Not to single them out - same
problem with many intros from other places :-(

Some odd kind of bright light outdoors in the last few minutes - I
wonder what it could be?

AUSSIE CHALLENGE  (Graeme Grosvenor, R. 1996).  Sdlg. R5-3.  TB, 36" (91

cm), ML.  Purple self; beards blue violet.  Silverado X Dusky
Challenger.Rainbow Ridge 1996/97.

BUCHHOLZER NACHT (Harald Moos, R. 1999).  Sdlg. 94/27A.  TB, 35" (90
cm), M.
Waved blackish blue self; beards pale blue. Titan's Glory X Dusky

CHARLEY O.  (Charles Okken, R. 1995).  Sdlg. Ab-10-8.  TB, 35" (89 cm),
S. dark purple violet; style arms deep lavender; F. deep violet, edges
lighter, with light and dark streaks in throat; beards deep violet,
light blue.  Magic Man X Dusky Challenger

DARK MAUL  (Glenn Stoneking-Jones, R. 1999).  Sdlg.
TB, 36" (91 cm), EM.  Black; beards orange red, with black horn and
pronounced musky fragrance.  ((Dusky Challenger x Art School Angel) x
Spitfire) X (Hello Darkness x Art School Angel)

DOCTOR DARK  (Tom Burseen, R. 1993).  Sdlg. 9-238B.  TB, 36" (91 cm),
Heavily ruffled, glossy dark grape violet (darker than RHS 89A); beards
purple; musky fragrance.  Dusky Challenger X Royalist.  T.B.'s Place

FUERSTIN PAULINE  (Siegmar Goerbitz, R. 1997).  Sdlg. 8922 A4.  TB, 37"
cm), M.  Waved deep blue self; beards yellow, blue at end.  Augenweide X

Dusky Challenger.  Goerbitz 1998.

HUNK  (Tom Burseen, R. 1995).  Sdlg. 9-238A.  TB, 37" (94 cm), M.  S.
slight purple (RHS 78B) wash; style arms white, washed purple; F. dark
purple (bluer than 79C), lighter at beard and edges; beards mustard,
purple; ruffled; musky fragrance.  Dusky Challenger X Royalist.  T.B.'s
Place 1995.

JUMBO JACK  (Charles Okken, R. 1993). Sdlg. Bh-9.  TB, 35" (89 cm), EM.
glossy deep violet; F. deeper violet, violet signal; slight fragrance.
Valley X Dusky Challenger.  Misty Hill 1995.

KATINKA FRANZ  (Abram Feuerstein, R. 1999).  Sdlg. 92-460.  TB, 34" (86
 M.  Dark violet blue self; beards blue.  Alexander's Ragtime Band X
Challenger.  Stockton 1997.

KEIKO'S WORLD  (Larry Johnson, R. 1996). Sdlg. JO87-8.  TB, 36" (91 cm),
Ruffled dark blue (RHS 99B/C to 98A), F. with small whitish stripe at
tip of
beard; beards light blue (108C).  Dusky Challenger X Swirling Seas.

MER DU SUD  (Richard Cayeux, R. 1997).  Sdlg. 8989C.  TB, 32" (80 cm),
Sea blue self; beards light blue.  Dusky Challenger X Pledge Allegiance.

Cayeux 1997

MIDNIGHT THUNDERSTORMS  (Chun Fan, R. 1996).  Sdlg. F90-88.  TB, 35" (89

cm), ML-VL.  Ruffled pure deep velvety violet (RHS 86A); beards violet
pronounced spicy fragrance.  Chico Maid X Dusky Challenger.

MISS LEMON  (Phyllis Dickey, R. 1996). Sdlg. PD 44-1.  TB, 35" (89 cm),
S. soft lemon yellow; F. soft lemon yellow, washed white, dark yellow
edging; beards yellow; slight sweet fragrance.  Playgirl X Dusky
Misty Hill 1996.

MODERN MAJOR GENERAL  (Abram Feuerstein, R. 1997).  Sdlg. 92-460-1.  TB,
(91 cm), M.  S. blue; F. bluish purple, slight whitish area under beard;

beards blue, bronze in throat; ruffled; slight sweet fragrance.
Ragtime Band X Dusky Challenger.  Stockton 1997

MUSE'S VISIT  (Ray Rogers, R. 1998).  Sdlg. DCSF-3.  TB, 38" (97 cm),
S. brownish violet; style arms light violet and dark gold; F. bright
aging with central blue cast, hafts bronze, 1/4" brownish violet rim;
pronounced sweet fragrance.  Dusky Challenger X Star Fleet.

NEW CHALLENGE  (Graeme Grosvenor, R. 1997).  Sdlg. R5-4.  TB, 36" (91
ML.  Purple self; beards blue violet; ruffled; pronounced sweet
Silverado X Dusky Challenger.  Rainbow Ridge 1997/98.

PARKRIDGE CHALLENGER  (Tom Parkhill, R. 1998).  Sdlg. 92-901.  TB, 29"
cm), EM. Ruffled dark bluish purple self; beards very dark blue; slight
fragrance.  Dusky Challenger X Winterscape.  Parkwood 1999.

PERILOUS JOURNEY  (Richard Ernst, R. 1993).  Sdlg. HS902-1.  TB, 36" (91

cm), M.  Ruffled dark blue purple, lighter blue zonal area around blue
beards.  Lavender Luck X Dusky Challenger.  Cooley 1993.

RAVEN'S QUOTE  (Richard Ernst, R. 1994).  Sdlg. HS902-3.  TB, 35" (89
M.  Ruffled dark violet blue, slightly lighter around beard; beards
blue, tipped light blue; ruffled; slight sweet fragrance.  Lavender Luck
Dusky Challenger.  Cooley 1994.

ROCKEN WITH BLONDIE  (Glenn Stoneking-Jones, R. 1999).  Sdlg.
CIR6-5357-06-02-1999.  TB, 28" (71 cm), EM.  S. mustard yellow; style
dark burgundy; F. burgundy; beards bronze; slight musky fragrance.
(Vigilante x Supreme Sultan) X (Dusky Challenger x Vigilante).

STEINHUDER MEER  (Harald Moos, R. 1995).  Sdlg. 91/A 42 y.  TB, 36" (91
M. Dark blue self; beards blackish blue; waved.  Dusky Challenger X Five

Star Admiral.  Schoeppinger 1996.

SUDDEN IMPACT  (Richard Tasco, R. 1996).  Sdlg. 91-01-03.  TB, 39" (99
ML.  Heavily ruffled medium blue self, aging paler silvery blue; beards
light blue.  Dusky Challenger X Ruffled Goddess.  Superstition 1997.

TEMPTONE  (Graeme Grosvenor, R. 1993).  Sdlg. R5-1.  TB, 38" (97 cm), M.

Ruffled purple self; beards purple.  Silverado X Dusky Challenger.
Ridge 1993/94.

THUNDERING HILLS  (Nora Scopes, R. 1995).  Sdlg. 9S 109.  TB, 36-38"
cm), ML.  S. deep violet; F. velvety violet; beards deep purple;
strong sweet fragrance.  7/3: (Sea Music x Cobweb Morning) X Dusky

ZOOT SUIT  (Ray Rogers, R. 1998).  Sdlg. DCSF-2.  TB, 36" (91 cm), ML.
purple blue self; beards light grey blue, hairs lightly tipped yellow,
yellow in throat; ruffled, shoulders pleated; pronounced sweet
Dusky Challenger X Star Fleet.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8