CULT: Bloom update

Bloom season is off and rolling here in southwest Iowa.  One thing I
have noticed is that a lot of my earlier bloomers haven't bloomed yet
but already the midseason stuff is budding and blooming.  A great
example is BEST BET.  It has had stalks for almost 3 weeks now but has
been extremely slow to open.

Historics in bloom today:

BLUE RHYTHM

GIBSON GIRL

GUDRUN

ELEANOR ROOSEVELT

PRES. PILKINGTON

VALOR

ELSA SASS

TOKAY

A couple of unknowns..

MTB's BUMBLEBEE DEELITE and DOTTED DOLL just opened this morning.  I
love MTB's because when the whole clump is in bloom they look like a
cloud of butterflies (or bees in the formers case. :-))

Numerous midseason TB's are blooming:  BURST, ART DECO, AUTUMN THUNDER
and JESSE'S SONG just to name a few.  I am looking forward to bloom on
WINTRY SKY (Keppel 2002).  I fell in love as soon as I saw it on the
front of the catalog.  It has a perfect stalk on it that should be in
bloom in a few days.

I have made a only a few crosses this spring but look to making more as
late season comes on.

Well enough of my babbling..it's off to the field to weed and
photograph.  It is my wish to post to iris-photos but my darn scanner is
throwing a fit again.  Will maybe elect to use the digital camera just
for posting.

Hope everyone else is having an enjoyable season or having fun
anticipating it (for northern friends-how are things up north?)!

Botanically,

Kelly D. Norris

Master Gardener/Freelance Writer

Bedford, Iowa

Zone 4b/5a

www.rainbowfarms.net <http://www.rainbowfarms.net/>

Check out the Bloomfest! 2003 page for an update on what is currently in
bloom.