Re: CULT: Bloom update; bloom reports; 103 degrees; & Othello

Interesting how the sequence of bloom can vary from year to year and place
to place.

My 'Eleanor Roosevelt' is one of the first, usually flowering with or even
starting before the SDB's.  This year it started flowering in early March
if I remember correctly (it tried in January, but February got too cold),
and for all practical purposes it has been done since something like early
April, though it makes a few flowers here and there almost all the time.

My President Pilkington, Gudrun, and Blue Rhythm flowered in late April and
early May, and President Pilkington still had a few flowers until the wind
came the other day.

By the way, I was wrong.   A few stalks and buds did make it through the
wind.  I have never seen 'Mostar' before, and one good bud made it through
on a now prostrate stalk, should be open today.  Another I had not seen
yet, 'Othello', had not flowered yet, and is opening a first flower today.
Some of the various I. variegata / MTB's made it through too.  I suspect
these all survived because they are small, have stout little stalks, and
they are shorter than all the weeds and grass around them.  The spurias are
all really stout too, but they all broke anyway, they sort of go into a
propeller action and twist themselves off.  The spuria leaves look like
some sort of bad basket weaving project, while the bearded leaves mostly
look fine unless something else was hitting them.

Thanks all for your best wishes and sympathies.  I'll get by though.  Such
things are almost getting to be routine now.  I think some of the deciduous
wood plants may be about done though.  The wind finally quit about 10:00 PM
last night - for now.

By the way Laetitia, that plant I thought was perhaps 'Othello' in April
wasn't.  It is really similar, but as you thought, it is way too early, and
it is a bit too big with the spathes a bit different.  Sure is a good
look-alike though.  Probably is a clone of I. x germanica.