BB: Batik

On 22 May 2003 at 8:41, John Jones wrote:

> Gordon Nicholson wrote:
> >Not to beat a "dead horse" to death but since all the stalks of that variety
> >were "taller" then the description and all grown in the same general region
> >don't you think the judges should have taken that into consideration and not
> >knocked them down?  All a person who was more knowledgeable in iris shows
> >could have done was cut off some of the stalk.  I think this goes to show
> >why judges should be familiar with many varieties grown in their region.
> >
> In this case, no. Other stalks (of City Lights) grown in the region (and
> at the show) were of normal height.
> >

>  John                     | "There be dragons here"
>                          |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                          |  to indicate the edge of the known world.
> For your Iris gift needs, visit the AIS Gift Shop at:
> http://www.AISGiftShop.com
> USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
> Fremont, California, USA
> Director, American Iris Society
> Chairman, AIS Committee for Electronic Member Services

How do you judge the BB BATIK when it is consistently overgrows
the class and is among the largest and tallest stalks (stocks, spikes)
present in the show?

Here and in some parts of Region 7, B has been in with the talls and
nobody says anything about it.  The judges just go ahead and put a
blue ribbon on it.  If it were in contention for the QOS, then I would
raise my ugly head and say "No, not by the hair on my chinny, chin,
chin!"  I honestly don't think very many judges in these parts know
that BATIK is a BB and not a TB.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (Reporting rebloom today on Kit Fox, one of
Lowell Baumunk's SDBs).